For a while, this DIY has been on my mind. I decided that I was finally going to give it a go but figured I might as well bring someone else into the action as well. I emailed Melissa (from the shoot you just saw) and she was completely down for the cause. And so our little adventure began! We started off at Container Store, headed to Anthropology, and then got to DIY'ing back at my apartment.
It was so much fun to work on these! There were a lot of learning curves (who knew a power drill took so much work to figure out) and mistakes that turned out pretty awesome. Melissa and I already have our next DIY up our sleeves so stay tuned. Run and take a look at her blog to see more about her clutch!
The deets on mine: For my clutch, I decided to incorporate CakedCulture and my love for all of my Cakers. I taped of the entire clutch and then cut the word Caker out with an xacto knife. I spray painted primer first, then followed behind it with my color of choice, bronze. Then, I taped of the inside sides of the back of the clutch and spray painted in pink. I wish I had better steps of the process but quite frankly I was lost in making sure this one turned out great (I had a big case too. Long story short, fail). After everything dried I peeled the paint off and BOOM! There you have it. To get the frosted look, which was definitely a happy accident, I spayed the case with a gloss sealer. Drill a hole in that bad boy then insert a pretty knob and you're done!
Price List: Case - $5.99 (Container Store) / Knob - $2.95 (On Sale from Anthropology) / Primer (had already) / Painters tape - $5.99 (Home Depot) / Gold Spray Paint (had already) / Pink Spray Paint (borrowed from Melissa) / Drill (borrowed from coworker) You will also need a heavy duty wire cutter!
That brings my total to $14.93! We won't include the things I bought for the failed clutch.